Now firmly in the grips of winter, the flipping between harsh cold wind and radiator-dry air can throw your skin and hair’s natural balance out of whack. And as we buckle down for the wild rollercoaster of Christmas, it sure sounds sensible to take good care of yourself in the meantime. Of course, as we mentioned before, cruelty-free & vegan beauty aren’t always the same thing, but all the products we’ve chosen tick both boxes. Here’s our round-up of top notch vegan skincare and haircare products that you can either stock up on to keep you going through the winter months, or drop subtle hints about to anyone asking for Christmas List ideas. Subtle specific hints.
[Images courtesy of Tropic]
Certified by The Vegan Society and Cruelty Free International? Tick. Made in Britain? Tick. 100% naturally derived or nature identical ingredients? Tick! Tropic have a range of skincare, bodycare and make-up products to sample the delights of. Everyone’s skincare routine varies, but generally the classic combo of cleanser, toner and moisturiser is a good place to start, and Tropic’s range won’t disappoint:
- Smoothing Cleanser + Bamboo Cloth, £16.00. A blend of eucalyptus, golden jojoba and avocado oils, which I’m sure smells as good as it sounds. It’s a dab hand at removing make-up and leaves your skin all soft. Plus, it comes with a free face cloth, made from 100% organic and sustainable bamboo cloth. They’ve thought of everything!
- Vitamin Toner Pore Refining Mist, £14.00. Filled to the brim with organic rose water, aloe vera and cucumber juices, and infused with vitamins and amino acids which will help reduce pore size. A couple of sprays over your face and neck morning and night will do the trick, post-cleansing and pre-moisturising.
- Skin Revive Nourishing Cream Concentrate, £22.00. The cherry on the cake, this powerful bottle is packed full with nutrients and 20 different nourishing fruit, flower and seed extracts. Sounds like a tropical buffet of goodness, from start to finish.
[Images courtesy of PHB Ethical Beauty]
What does it stand for? Pure, Handmade, British. PHB are a family business with the world’s biggest range of natural, vegan and halal certified beauty products. And here’s a cool fact: as of April 2015, they have been donating 15% of net profits to charities who help people and animals in the UK. Amazing! PHB have skincare, cosmetics, bath & body, haircare, men’s and scent free products, so do have a click or two on their website to get the full flavour. Here are our top products:
- Avocado & Olive Sugar Scrub, £4.95. The description of it’s ingredients is almost mouth-watering: pure sugar cane mixed with rich cocoa butter and nourishing plant oils, all in one little bundle. These scrubs exfoliate the skin, removing dead skin cells (not so appetising anymore!), but it promises to moisturise the skin and keep it super soft.
- Brightening Body Butter with Neroli & Ylang Ylang, £11.86 (on sale for limited time). This magic pot sounds like the perfect solution to dry skin in winter, as it’s a quick absorbing butter that promises to relieve dryness and provide 24 hour skin hydration. Sounds categorically heavenly.
- Skin Refresh Gel with Seaweed & Mint, £9.62 (on sale for limited time). This gel’s superpower is soothing tired feet, which are all too common in the run up to Christmas. It’s also super versatile, and if you manage to save some for next summer, it doubles as an after-sun and insect bite relief. Très useful, non?
[Images courtesy of Faith in Nature]
I have faith in Faith in Nature. Their products are certified organic, cruelty-free and most are vegan, and they’re all made in Britain (Lancashire, to be exact). They’ve been making ethical beauty history for forty years now, and I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews about them (such as the recommendation from the lovely people on the weekly Twitter chat #veganhour! Tuesdays at 7pm, if you’d like to join). Faith in Nature have haircare, body care, skincare, baby care, pet care and cleaning products to boot. Here’s our top 3 products for winter, coming right up:
- Chocolate Shampoo, £5.50. Chocolate. Shampoo. Need I say more? Seriously, I need this in my life, asap. The fragrance is 100% natural, and, if you like it, you can buy a 5 litre bottle for £50.00 so you can stock up! Easy peasy. When you finally have to leave the non-stop chocolate indulgence on Christmas, luckily you can still dream in chocolate in the shower.
- Raspberry & Cranberry Shower Gel & Foam Bath, £5.60. Cranberry sauce on a sizeable chunk of Cheatin’ VBites roast. Mwah! Can’t wait. The organic cranberry element to this bubble bath would certainly get you feeling festive.
- Coconut Hand Cream, £6.39. The astonishing powers of coconut oil has been high on the agenda this year, and this hand cream harbours those powers too. Designed to be quickly absorbed, this cream will soften your hands after they’ve survived a blast in the winter wind.
[Images courtesy of Soapnuts]
These products are handmade in the UK, from 100% natural, organic, sustainable, ethical, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients! That’s a hell of a lot of awesome adjectives to be the proud owner of. This company was born because the founder’s two children had eczema, so they wanted to blitz all the toxins out of their different soaps. They use organic wild-crafted deseeded sapinus mukorossi, which is a particular variety of soapnuts that have the greatest soap content. They have haircare, body care, natural stain removers, skincare and even an environmental toothbrush made of bamboo! Amazing. Here’s our top 3 products:
- Botanic Hair Oil, £10.00. This hair oil is a treat for any frazzled hair unable to handle the sharp changes in temperature common in winter. The blend of soapnuts, jojoba, calendula, sunflower, sesame and rice bran is designed to help protect your hair & scalp’s natural moisture content.
- Coconut Milk & Chai Bathtub Tea, £6.00. Coconut milk is the ultimate soother for dry skin. They recommend you use this in the bath and then leave it on overnight, washing it in the morning. This could be your safety net if the everyday routine isn’t quite keeping up.
- Bergamot, Ylang & Rose Healing Soapnut Salve, £8.50. Chapped lips are just a fact of winter, so how better to treat them than with this botanically infused balm? Rose has a reputation for its moisturising and calming properties, so it would work a treat on dry lips and hands.
So we might not have any vegan beauty products to fit in the stocking, but we do have a Gift Certificate that you can drop hints about to loved ones. In the meantime, why not enter our November competition to win £100 credit to treat yourself to some downright gorgeous luxury vegan shoes from Beyond Skin? On Monday 30th November, the winner will be announced. All you have to do to enter is:
- Follow Beyond Skin on Pinterest and repin this competition pin to a board called ‘Beyond Skin Pin to Win Luxury Vegan Shoes’
- Pin a minimum of 5 of your favourite styles from our website to your board
- Confirm your entry with a comment under our original contest pin with a link to your board
- Fingers, toes and paws crossed for luck!