This is officially prime Christmas-gift buying time. Perhaps you’re sporadic and spontaneous with your gift-buying, and yet it always seems to slot into place just in the nick of time. Or maybe you’re organised to the extreme, armed with a meticulously designed time chart with allocated slots for each gift-hunt, colour co-ordinated for each side of the family. Either way, you might care to sample our specially selected list of ethical and vegan ethical Christmas gifts to get your gift-inspiration flowing. As our blog about Father’s Day Gift Ideas shows, there’s always an amazing ethical company out there to be discovered if you look hard enough.
For the Green-Fingered
It’s ever so sensible to have something to look forward to for 2016, to get through that dreaded January. Gardening gifts certainly fit the bill for an ethical Christmas gift.
- Wildlife Habitats, Edun Project, £18.50-£360. We are so in love with these cute little wildlife habitats, accommodating everything from frogs to bees to bats.Made from sustainably-sourced wood or recycled plastic, these little houses would be the perfect way to protect your local wildlife (and get to take a sneaky peek at them too!)
- Solar-Powered Multi-Glow Gem String Lights, Smart Solar, £24.99. These sparkly garden jewels would be a delicate way to dress up the garden, and they have no mains wiring whatsoever. They automatically light up at night. Sweet!
- Gardening Tools, Green Tulip, £8. This spade and trowel is made with certified organic bamboo, which is the fastest growing plant in the world. It’s considered an endlessly renewable resource, and renews without needing pesticides or fertilisers. These garden tools are Fair Trade as well, so you can be sure these are not only useful but totally ethical too.
For the Sweet-Toothed
When buying these gifts, I think it’s only sensible to order one too many of these sweet treats, so you can taste-test them yourself. For quality-control purposes only, of course.
- Vegan Truffle Collection, Montezuma, £11.99-£16.99. I heard on the grapevine that these truffles are so creamy that they’re often mistaken for dairy chocolates, but rest assured, they’re 100% vegan! Inside the box you’ll find dark chocolate truffles with orange, coffee truffles, almond praline truffles and more. Swoon.
- Gourmet Selection, Booja-Booja, £16.99. These 20 diverse chocolate vegan truffles have won 30 awards! Need I say more? Luckily, the product description says that these chocolates are great for “sharing with friends and family”, so whoever you give them to, make sure you remind them to share.
- Sweet Adventures, Jealous Sweets, £8.99. These sour beans and tangy worms are 100% vegan and will please anyone with a penchant for sugar. With flavours including Morello Cherry, Pomegranate and Mango, it’s enough to make your mouth water.
For the Fashionistas
Whether your giftee has been leaving giant unsubtle hints about exactly what dress or which shoes they would like, or you know they’re keen to replenish their wardrobe with some on-trend ethical fashion, here’s where to look.
- Vaute Couture Gift Voucher, £21.15-£330.43. This brand is the brainchild of Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart and is based in Brooklyn. They’ve broken runway history by being the very first totally vegan fashion label to show at New York Fashion Week. They’re famous for their cosy warm vegan coats, and have just recently developed a vegan wool jumper, made from recycled industrial waste cotton. Not only vegan, but eco-friendly too!
- People Tree Gift Voucher, £10-£100. This Fair Trade and sustainable fashion label was founded by Safia Minney, who has even been awared an MBE for her work in Fair Trade and the fashion industry. This year People Tree teamed up with Zandra Rhodes, who is also a fervent advocate of sustainable fashion. Their collaborative collection is bright, bold and beautiful, and all made from 100% organic cotton.
- Beyond Skin Gift Voucher, £15-£500. That’s us! We started in 2001 with a mission to create shoes that were cruelty-free and totally gorgeous at the same time. Our shoes are made using polyutherane (PU), and next season we will be using PU made from 100% recycled PU! Our Dynamica suede is made using 100% recycled bottle tops and our rubber resin soles are 70% recycled, with an element of fresh material to retain the highest quality and durability. Our gift voucher is guaranteed to please.
For the Foodies
The gift of gorging on delicious vegan food and lashings of vegan wine is one that won’t go unappreciated. If you’re giving these gifts to omnivorous friends, these luxurious hampers and restaurants would be an ideal introduction to vegan cuisine.
- Vorrei Vegan Dinner for Two Hamper, £48. This hamper will give you everything you need for a bellissimo Italian dinner for two, with Calabrian green olives, fettuccine pasta, sun dried tomato, almond & pistachio pate, chocolate-coated pistachios and vegan white wine. Beuon appetito!
- Manna Restaurant Gift Voucher, £25-£100. If you’re buying for a London-dweller, this gift certificate would likely provide a welcome break from staying in the house over winter. I’m fond of buying experiences for my friends and family, and Manna’s second-to-none vegan cuisine certainly is an experience worth sharing.
- Terre à Terre Gift Voucher, £15-£100. This restaurant is an icon of Brighton, serving delicious vegan and vegetarian food for 22 years. Taking a friend out to dinner post-Christmas would probably feel like a treat, seeing as our bank accounts might not be looking so rosy from the 25th onwards. But that’s what gift vouchers are good for.
- Vintage Roots Triple Delight Vegan Wine Case, £38. Of course, if you’d rather stay in over Christmas, this cheeky case of sumptuous vegan wine would be quite the treat.
Rather than buying some novelty socks, here’s some luxury ethical Christmas gift ideas for the fellas.
- David Black Briefcase, Matt & Nat, £134. This luxury vegan leather bag fits a 13 inch laptop and has a 100% recycled nylon lining. It can also be worn cross-body with an adjustable and removable strap. Slick and smart, and cruelty-free.
- Silver Plain Square Cufflinks, Cred Jewellery, £132. These classic silver cufflinks are excellent examples of fine craftsmanship, as they are handmade in the UK from solid certified Fair Trade silver by Deakin and Francis.
- Santal 33 Fragrance For Men, Le Labo, £105. This fragrance is hailed as one of the greats, admired for its spicy, musky notes. This brand is 100% vegan and free of animal testing, and they ship to the UK all the way from New York.
Beauty gift sets are not hard to find near Christmas time, but these are all 100% vegan and cruelty free, all with a splash of luxury for the ultimate ethical Christmas gift.
- 12 Days of Christmas Bath Box, Lush, £49.95. Lush have selected their 12 most popular products in one sweet-smelling package, from a Snow Angel bath melt to Yog Nog soap and a Holly Golightly bubble bar, this is festive cleanliness at its finest.
- All About Eyes Make-up Kit, Inika, £49.95. Certified organic, vegan, halal & cruelty-free, this make-up has it all. This is an ideal starter kit in vegan beauty, and includes a vegan eye shadow brush, a brow pencil, mineral eye shadow, creme eye shadow and make-up remover.
- Clarifying Hair Care Gift Set, PHB Ethical Beauty, £22.50. Enriched with Argan Oil and Sea Buckthorn, these hair care products nourish hair to make it softer and naturally healthy. This brand is cruelty-free, vegan and halal. The ideal gift for anyone to give their hair some love and attention in these cold winter months.
For the Kiddly-Winks
Last but not least, the children! After all, this is what Christmas is all about: seeing the expression of absolute wonder on their faces on Christmas morning.
- Merry Moos Christmas Selection Box, Moo Free, £3.99. This certified vegan selection box has a Bunnycomb Bar, a Cheeky Orange Bar, a Minty Moo Bar and a Chocolate Santa Bar, and is bound to be a hit with the kids!
- Kidz Labs Green Science Solar Robot, £18.95. Kids can recycle everyday materials to make their own moving robot, powered by solar panels with a motor to make it walk! You can make it a dinosaur or monster; the choice is theirs.
- Rag Doll, Lanka Kade, £9.95. This Fair Trade rag doll is handmade from 100& hand-loomed cotton in Sri Lanka. This company works to create opportunities for independence to their suppliers, ensuring local skills are respected, enhanced and secured. Plus, this little doll is has such a sweet face. What’s not to love?
And to wrap up your ethical Christmas…
Image courtesy of Ethical Superstore
Fair Trade wrapping paper, of course!
Last Chance to Win £100 Credit at Beyond Skin!
Don’t forget that we have a competition on at the moment: Pin to Win £100 credit at Beyond Skin! Competition Closes Monday 30th November. All you have to do to enter is:
- Follow Beyond Skin on Pinterest and repin this competition pin to a board called ‘Beyond Skin Pin to Win Luxury Vegan Shoes’
- Pin a minimum of 5 of your favourite styles from our website to your board
- Confirm your entry with a comment under our original contest pin with a link to your board
- Fingers, toes and paws crossed for luck!